Stay Mindful and "Present" for a safe and happy holiday!
Throughout this busy holiday month, MaxiAids wants you to be mindful of your every move to avoid unexpected falls and injury. With so much distraction during the holidays (and other day to day distractions all year 'round), it's important to be aware of your surroundings at all times to prevent falls. Every step we take can potentially end up in a fall. When living with a disability, it's so important to be conscious of where we go, what we do and how we go about doing it. That's why at MaxiAids we want to provide you with suggestions and products to help reduce those chances of hurting yourself. Accidents happen so quickly, and in seconds a person's life can change.
So what does it really mean to be mindful and present?
Mindfulness: The practice of becoming more fully aware of the present moment...
Being Present: Learn to focus completely on doing that one thing. Pay attention to every aspect of what you’re doing...
The importance of these two words can be detrimental to living a safe and accident-free life. Awareness of your thoughts and actions when faced with challenges such as low vision, mobility issues and hearing loss is essential to your safety.
As we age or have mobility issues, falls are very common and happen more frequently. That is why it's so important to remove distractions, and stick with one activity at a time. Multi-tasking when we are busy seems natural, but we put ourselves at risk when doing so. Besides staying mindful and present, it is also important to eliminate mental and physical interferences as we walk or do chores.
There are ways to help prevent falls, and keep your environment safe and clutter free...
- Keep floors free of objects you can trip over (small vases, plants, storage boxes, low foot rests, shoes, pet products, etc.), remove throw rugs, and hide away electrical cords
- Keep furniture to a minimum, and have more open space to move around
- Keep work areas clean and always mop up spills right after they happen
- Add grab bars where needed; bathroom, hallways, bedrooms
- Use non-slip mats in showers and bathtubs
- Wear good support sneakers or shoes with rubber bottoms to prevent slipping
- Avoid standing on chairs or tables to reach for something; only use sturdy step stools or ladders with handrails
- Keep hallways, stairways, doorways and walkways well lit
- Use walking aids to help you when necessary
- Practice balance exercises (ask your doctor what exercises are safe for you to do to increase better balance and equilibrium)
- Keep distractions at a minimum
While staying mindful and present in your surroundings, you will notice how focused you will become while walking, getting out of bed, bathing, cooking, etc. Being mindful will keep you safer and give you an overall feeling of relaxation and well-being.
Mindfulness has its many benefits-- helping reduce stress and anxiety, improve listening skills, and increase general happiness. So stay present, be safe, and have a happy holiday with MaxiAids' assistive products, mobility equipment and walkers, low vision aids, blind accessories, products for the blind and visually impaired, and other home safety products to help you live a safe, active, and productive life.