You wouldn't think of going even a day without drinking at least a glass of water. After all, the dangers of dehydration are well known and well publicized. However, many of us torture our noses, nasal passages, throats, and lungs for months and months by not providing them with the moisture they require to function properly.
For most of us, the greatest danger to our health in the winter isn't the headline-grabbing blizzards, snow storms, and floods. And it's not the cold. Not directly, anyway. It's the heat. In wintertime, we all crave our warm, cozy caves. But the problem with coming inside to escape the cold is that breathing heat-dried air is just not healthy. It lacks the moisture level our body needs to stay healthy. And our bodies practically shriek their need for moist air during the cold months by cursing us with dry skin, loud snoring, coughs, and colds.
The solution is easy and relatively inexpensive. The most convenient way to put water back into the air is with a humidifier.
- Humidifiers help provide relief from coughing and congestion, whether from a cold, sore throat, or flu.
- Breathing humidifier-moistened air often alleviates many of the symptoms of asthma, sinusitis, and allergies by promoting good sinus, airway, and lung health.
- Humidifiers help to lubricate and moisten nasal passages allowing the sinuses to drain more efficiently, which reduces congestion and helps prevent or heal sinus infections.
- Humidifiers counter the worst of winter's dry-air effect which leads to nosebleeds, chapped lips, and parched skin that can crack, itch, or flake.
As an extra-special bonus for those with spouses who sound like they are sawing wood when they are sleeping, a humidifier helps reduce snoring in some individuals by keeping the throat from drying out.
There are three types of humidifiers: warm mist, cool mist evaporative, and cool mist ultrasonic humidifiers. These days it seems that the latter type has become more popular.
The reasons many choose to use a Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier are:
1) They are safer than hot-steam producing units, such as Warm Mist Humidifiers, which can be a burn hazard for children and pets;
2) They cost less by requiring less electricity to operate with no need for a heating element to heat up water for evaporation;
3) They are far less noisy than either Cool Mist Evaporative Humidifiers or Warm Mist Humidifiers;
4) They operate without requiring any replaceable filters, saving you the hassle of repeatedly spending more money each time they need to be replaced; and
5) Ultrasonic vibration technology quietly evaporates the liquid water, transforming it into an effective, air-moisturizing, micro-fine mist.
One of the best name brands in humidifiers is HealthSmart. Here's a selection of their most popular Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifiers, categorized by room size.
Visit MaxiAids.com for the largest selection of products for independent living at the lowest prices.
Like MaxiAids on Facebook